Sunday, April 18, 2010

Balance: Food and Exercise

Has anyone seen Food Inc.?

I love to cook.  In fact, even though I'm overweight, I have to say, it is NOT because I nibble and eat what I cook.  I cook mostly healthy food. Granted, there are moments when I really desire a something chocolately, but when a doctor (or my mother) accuses me of eating too many sweets, it is usually ungrounded.  Usually.   I have  learned not to stress-eat, as I'm told it's called: to eat to calm the nerves.  If I do stress-eat, it is either cheese or chocolate.  I don't see a large problem with this because it doesn't happen often (usually at the end of the semester, when I'm grading like a crazy person, or else when I have to start a new project, such as a book chapter or journal article, but not always).  It's a problem, I admit, but not a big one, and not one I am not able to fix.

I believe in balance: so much "bad" food along with the "good" food, so much exercise, so much relaxation, so much work, so much money saved, so much money spent,....  Balance is the key, and that includes a balance of stresses in one's life. 

However, attaining such balance is difficult, as it is difficult to attain any other type of illusion of control over anything.  Sometimes I have it; sometimes I don't.  I keep trying.  It's all I can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment