Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Linux Ate Your Apple: Now it's Sick

Recently, I set out to buy a computer. I have particular desires for this computer: power, the ability to edit high quality video, and happiness.  I am familiar with all three of the more commonly known operating systems, so this decision (I knew) would not come lightly.


It has been fairly well established that Apple operating systems are superior to Windows operating systems. If you don't believe me, take a look at Chris Pirillo's "50 Reasons to Switch from Microsoft Windows to Apple's Mac OS X" as just one excellent summation of this argument.


 
The fact is, however, that Linux still struggles to compete with both Windows and Apple.  The average buyer (particularly the average geek) seems to be lazy (for lack of a better word), wanting something familiar (even if it is actually uncanny in a creepy, nagging sort of way).  Users of MS Windows are addicted, willing to suffer the side-effects of numerous viruses and other attacks upon their hard-drives, willing to suffer the limitations to creative computing imposed by weak imitations of Apple's user-friendliness.
The real debate should be, now, between Apple and Linux



One of the central arguments that Linux geeks put forward is the case for free software, as put out by the Free Software Foundation; however, that argument is not universally supported by all Linux users.  In fact, many Linux users are promoters of Open Source, as explained by the Open Source Initiative.  Having checked the most recent price of Final Cut Pro, I was ready to try something new, especially if it was going to be cheaper!  However, at last September's Ohio Linux Festival, I found myself both intrigued: such a friendly atmosphere, such intelligent and confident people, such logic, what wonder, hallelujah!

I also knew that Linux is rapidly replacing Apple editing software in the film industry (see, for example,  "Disney, Dreamworks, and ILM Experts Reveal Linux Secrets this Month in LA"). Also, politically, I hate this copyright obsession, which has forgotten the original purpose of ownership laws and instead exploits such laws to limit accessibility to only those with the most dollars.  (For a lovely explanation of how corporate media industry has abused copyright protection, see "A Fair(y) Use Tale"--an animated dare made to Disney.)


Ultimately, however, I was disappointed.  I saw a demonstration of KDE video editing, which certainly seemed better than Microsoft's film editor, and clearly less complicated than the latest, disastrous, version of iMovie. However, it was still a bit glitchy and did not have the power of even the older, usable version of iMovie (iMovie 6), much less the numerous and complex capabilities of Final Cut Pro.  And, after much internal struggle, I bought an Apple and the latest version of Final Cut Pro.  It will probably be my last Apple computer.

Five years from now, however, I'm sure that I will be completely switching over to Linux.   Then again, maybe I'll go with something else that is out there on the horizon, such as BSD?  Life is a mystery.
The FreeBSD Project

No comments:

Post a Comment